Fried Green Tomatoes
Having never cooked with (or even seen in real life) green tomatoes, when we got some with our farm share I scoured my cookbooks, online recipe sites and even posted a request to my friends on Facebook looking for a great recipe to try. And I lucked out and fell in love with the first one I tried.
A couple notes on the recipe itself:
- Don’t be shy with the garlic powder!
- I found adding salt to the dry mixture adds a lot (they definitely needed more salt the first time with salt only in the buttermilk)
- They are fantastic with a couple drops of tabasco
- The recipe is very scalable for however many green tomatoes you have
- Make a lot…they will go fast!
|Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe Source: Tyler Florence, The Food Network
Prep Time: 10 min. Cook Time: 15 min. Level: Easy.
Serves: 4 to 8 servings
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, and cayenne together. Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.
Place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.
Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.