Best Of…(insert food item)
You know how when someone asks you what your favorite <fill in the blank> is and the answer is somewhere in your head but you just can’t remember it right there on the spot?
Well, I have been meaning to start a list tracking all my favorite finds so I have a record and can share with others.
Here are my absolute favorites in the food and drink category…. (obviously this will be updated all the time with new finds!!)
All time best…
The best of any particular type of food or drink I’ve had.
- Almond croissant – Bouchon Bakery, Yountville, CA
- Beligian Waffle – Market, St. Helena, CA
- Calamari – Fish Story, Napa, CA; Runner up – Sam’s Chowder Mobile, CA
- Cannoli – Mike’s Pastry, Boston, MA (North End)
- Ceviche – Ikal del Mar, 20 min south of Playa del Carmen, Mexico (under new ownership now)
- Chocolate crackle cookie – Sweet Constructions, San Francisco, CA
- Cuban sandwich – Chez Henri, Cambridge, MA
- Fresh Mochi – Simply Mochi, San Francisco, CA
- Hamburger – Sunset Grill and Tap, Allston, MA; Runner up – Gott’s Roadside, San Francisco area.
- Lentils and sausage – Les Pyrenees, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Onion Rings – Gott’s Roadside, Napa, CA (also in San Francisco and St. Helena)
- Papaya salad – Tamarine, Palo Alto, CA
- Pastrami sandwich (hot) – Carnegie Deli, New York, NY
- Pecan Pie – Bread and Chocolate, Newton, MA We had their pecan pie at Thanksgiving, and sadly it was too sweet due to an over abundance of chocolate chips. Perhaps just a heavy hand with that one pie. I’ll give them another chance, but for now, they are off the list.
- Salumi – Boccalone, San Francisco, CA
- Seafood sandwich – Fish, Sausalito, CA (their crab sandwich is really best sandwich I have ever had!)
- Shrimp Po’boy – Acme Oyster House, New Orleans, LA; Runner up – Sam’s Chowder Mobile
- Shortbread cookie – Mayfield Bakery, Palo Alto, CA
- Spiced hot chocolate – Coupa Café, Palo Alto, CA
- Sushi – Oya, Boston, MA
- Steak – The Palm or Ruth’s Chris Steak House (love the smell of butter as I enter either establishment), multiple locations
- Tempura (vegetable) – Go Fish, St. Helena, CA
- Red Velvet cupcake – Little Skillet, San Francisco, CA
- Red Velvet cupcake, runner up – Sprinkles, Palo Alto, CA (multiple locations)
Be sure to check out my other articles on Favorite Places to Eat and Restaurant Reviews, which has more indepth comments.